Tuesday, December 2, 2008

And now this word from outer space

Blacks aren't like us edition:

Way, way back when, one of my closest friends was a highly educated and successful African-American.

We decided to attend the Cooney v. Holmes pay per view event at a regional theatre. Cooney was labeled “The great white hope for the great white dopes.” The place was packed and the fight went as expected. Cooney took a beating.

When leaving the theatre to return to my vehicle, I saw a side of my friend I had no idea existed. He was suddenly 100% African American and every logical thing I knew about him disappeared as he chanted and pounded his fist in the air and embraced every black person we passed. The fight was a war of black and white and his side won.

It was an object lesson for me. Being Black is something that I will never understand. It is the first thing my friend was. It bound him to a culture and a people and an attitude and a way of life.

I see that in Condi and in Powell now. I am not surprised.

Racism supplied by Glenn (Free Venezuela!)

No comments:

Post a Comment