Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Schiavomania!

Many people have forgotten the whole Terri Schiavo story. But not Free Republic. About once a month a story pops up about the truth behind Terri's journey.

The latest is "Terri Schiavo Was Not Braindead", a riveting discussion of medical semantics.


True to form ,Free Republic erupted in debate.

When a friend told her in the final days if she could
just say she would want to live, Terri tried to jump
out of bed.

She had a meaningful relationship with her family.

Her wicked former spouse, who likely caused her
disability, killed her by starvation/dehydration.

These people have their own facts! Or at least they raise sample bias to an art.

But according to the Freepers, God also has a sample bias:

Terri was not a vegitable. “Brain Dead” was innacurate. And “vegitative” is de-humanizing. On Judgment Day,
everyone who advocated starving her to death will get
to hear from God, and from Terri herself.
-KGOV.com

Nice to say what God is thinking, Bob Enyart.

Also, some have anecdotes about doctors being wrong:

When I was born the drs said that I was in a vegetative state and counseled my mother to put me in a home. I was over 3 months old before I cried for the first time and responded to stimulation.

I'm now a wife and a mother with an IQ in the low 130's. I've been to college. (Dropped out to have babies.)

Sorry, but I'm a walking miracle and I know I'm nothing special. Many others have survived doctor's predictions. (Therapy makes all the difference.) I don't throw in the towel until their heart's been stopped for about an hour. (My mom was dead for 20 minutes while I was being born.)
To me, the moral of this story seems to be never trust doctors. I wonder how many anecdotes about people being on life support and never coming out of it there are?

There is a decent amount of debate on these threads, though. Well, not "debate" exactly...
I never said she was brain dead. I said the parts of her brain that controlled thought, memory, muscle control and a few other things was damaged beyond repair.

I also stated putting her to sleep would of been better than dehydration.

There is no need to be emotional about this and name calling is completely inappropriate.

70 posted on 11/20/2007 1:55:03 PM PST by GreenOgre (mohammed is the false prophet of a false god.)

To: GreenOgre
Can I call you an ogre?

ogre
n.

1. A giant or monster in legends and fairy tales that eats humans.

2. A person who is felt to be particularly cruel, brutish, or hideous.

[French, probably ultimately from Latin Orcus, god of the underworld.]
Nice. I know I want to be on the side of the ad hominem guy! Who can argue against such logic?

And finally, this word from outer space:
The death culture will never give up until everyone on earth has been euthanized.
That sounds like a cunning plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment