Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mitt Romney’s Eldest Son Has Twins Via Surrogate

FresnoGrifter found this little gem of crazy. So Mitt Romney's eldest, Tagg, just had twins via surrogate. This sets up a fight between religious zealots and pro-Romney tools, with people muttering darkly about how mean Free Republic has gotten recently. The scars of Free Republic's recent spasm of idealism are slow to heal.

ladyvet found a loophole!
There was no "truce" called on Mormon and surrogate bashing.  
TexasFreeper2009 follows up with the Mormon bashing:
I am guessing too much polygamist Mormon inbreeding is keeping them from having a child naturally. Or maybe they just have so much money they don't want to bother with actually being pregnant.
Tau Food has this from out of left field:
I think John and Elizabeth Edwards might have avoided a lot of very ugly publicity if they had just claimed that Johnny’s last child was born by a “surrogate” for them. Aside from DNA tests (which can’t be compelled), how does an outsider know that a couple’s “birth by a surrogate” is not in fact just the product of the husband’s extramarital affair?
Tau Food also indulges in a bit of class warfare:
No one I know has gotten mixed up in this “surrogate” mother business. Of course, no one I know has inherited tens of millions of dollars. They say that you can buy anything (on earth) if you have enough money. I’m not sure God agrees with that.
sagar:
The teenage Palin had her baby naturally. The conception was natural, magical, and blessed. The conception was not due to a doctor breaking the egg-wall, injecting the sperm into it, and then implanting it in a rented-womb. AI is evil and twisted. Those doing AI(doctors, “parents”, and surrogates) should be in jail.
haircutter disagrees - any child raised conservative is a blessing!
OH bull. The gift of a child is precious no matter how it arrives.. I’m the mother of an adopted child and he was raised Conservative and is a fantastic adult now..
Mrs. Don-o expalins how soulless IVF children aren't really human:
Human procreation is an image of God. It is life-giving and love-giving at the same time, and it creates another image of God, a new human. Surrogacy make the child-bearer less than a mother, makes her as hired procreative collaborator less than a wife, and makes the child the end-result of a kind of manufacture, as if he were a product, less than a person.
NOTE - Mrs. Don-o was kind enough to drop by the comments and clarify her position - this quote is not really what she thinks - check out the comment for more detail.

wastedyears is shocked people can bash surrogacy:
We look like DU right now on this thread. How any of you could say such things about people is beyond me.
Cincinna is shocked people can defend surrogacy:
I’m quite shocked by the response of many FReepers who claim to be pro-life conservatives.
Drew68 doesn't much like where this thread went:
Welcome to the "new and improved" Free Republic! See, we've kicked off or chased away all the rational, intelligent posters that used to contribute to this place and retained all the unhinged cranks! Ain't it great!

8 comments:

  1. "I’m the mother of an adopted child and he was raised Conservative and is a fantastic adult now.."

    I read that as "a fascist adult"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was indeed an epic thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freepers sure are quick to dehumanize literally anyone they associate with disagreeable practices, even children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting my thread, Ozy! Anyone, just some random thoughts:

    - The first post by ladyvet is sarcasm, I believe. I think she's been one of the folks annoyed at Freeper management and turns up in a lot of the debates. And I could be wrong, but is inbreeding an issue with Mormons? But what should I expect from Freepers, considering mainstream Mormons don't even practice polygamy anymore.

    - TexasFreeper2009 (and others) are shooting from the hip without knowing all the facts, as usual. Tagg Romney already has children born naturally. Why the Romneys have chosen to go surrogate with their newest child, I don't know, though someone may have already written why.

    - Sagar takes an interesting position, defending Bristol Palin's out-of-wedlock baby, describing the conception as "natural, magical, and blessed". When do you hear Freepers talk that way about teen pregnancy? Nevermind that the story behind the conception was your typical "white trash teens get drunk and screw carelessly".

    Mrs. Don-O takes a strange position. I get that surrogacy is not something everyone approves of. Heck, I'm Catholic and it's against my religion and not something I would consider. But how exactly does that make Mrs. Romney not really a mother? I mean, it's her egg, her DNA. She's going to raise the baby for the next 18 years as her child, just like she would her other kids. But because she isn't carrying the child for 9 months in her own body means she has some sort of illegitimate claim to the title "Mother"? Talk about a stretch.

    - Wastedyears trots out the usual "we're acting like libs" line. As if anyone thinks Freepers act like anything other than cretins, that anyone considers RWNJ shut-ins to be high class, tolerant, noble folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I just happened to find this while googling for something else. Allow me chime in, since I was quoted and then thoroughly misconstrued.

      I never said IVF children "aren't really human." They are indisputably human, and are being treated *as if* they are not: "As if he were a product, not a person" (direct quote---notice the "AS IF").

      Nor did I say Mrs. Romney was "not really a mother." This is far from my position, since she is a mother in at least 4 senses of that fractured word: genetic, gestational, legal, and social/emotional.

      It is distressing to see false statements imputed to me, which are the diametric opposite of my convictions. I realize some may have misconstrued things honestly, and so I would be loath to assume malice on your part. But you are very much mistaken, and you have proceeded ---- unfairly, I think --- to refute things I did not say.

      Delete
    3. Hi Ms. Don-O! Thanks for your measured and well-written response.

      I'm sorry the quote above didn't capture your more nuanced feelings about surrogacy - I know in the middle of an internet scrum ideas can get muddled.

      I'll be sure to add a note in the post directing them to your comment here. If there's anything else I can do to clarify things, just comment here and I'll get an e-mail.

      Thanks again for your classy post!

      Delete
  5. Another thread...smell the hypocrisy...

    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2881488/posts

    Now if this was Bob Menendez obtaining dual citizenship from Mexico, do u think the freeper cretins would be fine with that?

    ReplyDelete