Wednesday, March 4, 2009

CULTURE OF DEATH

Seems Washington state has passed a "death with dignity" law. Freepers are worked into some kind of unthinking frenzy by this. I theorize it's a leftover of the Schiavo fiesta of some years ago. But the funny thing is that despite some deep moral issues available to argue, they don't even see the issues:

668 - Neighbor of the Beast assumes the government is hoping to kill us all, for some reason:

Still in the introductory stages, death with dignity will be available on an optional basis “for a limited time only.”
After that it will be mandatory and paid by your tax dollars.

Knute sees this from a religious angle:
It is a matter of great concern to us Catholics here (real Catholics, I mean). The local Catholic hospital has announced they and their staff will not participate on any way, shape, or form. Obamurderer can try to force them but they won’t give in.
They can choose to do the ethical thing.... CLOSE
Yes! Deny lots of people medical care because other people want medical care you don't like! It's what that petty bastard Christ would do!

REPANDPROUDOFIT jumps on the conspiracy bandwagon, and throws in some Obama for some reason:
Obama's policies amount to population control. Reduce benefits to the elderly and allow the older, sicker ones to die. They are the ones most likely to be conservative in their viewpoints. Do you think it is just a coincidence that they are being targeted?
Eva also agrees, and throws in a current conspiracy of Doctors. I'm sure she has lots of evidence.

Assisted suicide is part of the preparation for socialized medicine. The left wants to reduce the burden on the healthcare system at both ends of the life span. It’s pretty simple, actually.

In truth, doctors have been using assisted suicide for senior citizens and cancer patients for quite a long time, when the doctors determine that they are either near death or may as well be, so this is just making it legal. (and disgusting)

And when some people question whether there may be some times that death is a valid individual choice, the party of individual choice just posts:
conservatives believe in life.
Or
Did you know that Free Republic is a pro-life organization?
Or
THE CULTURE OF DEATH
Over and over and over again.

And this is the direction the mainstream GOP is drifting towards. *sigh*

3 comments:

  1. I live in Washington State, and I voted for I-1000, after wrestling with it for a long time. I thought to myself, "I could never ask a doctor to give me the drugs to kill myself." And then I thought about my mom... if she were in an advanced stage of some illness, would I ask her to continue to suffer just so I could have the comfort that -- what? That she lived until the very end? No. I couldn't make that decision for her anymore than I could make anyone else's decision on whether to keep an unwanted pregnancy. So I voted for I-1000, because it's not my place to choose when someone dies. Period.

    I found out a month or so later that one of my favorite professors from college had terminal cancer -- very terminal. She was diagnosed the day that I-1000 was passed. She died peacefully, the way she lived: on her own terms. Su Job was an inspiration to everyone who ever met her, and I'm glad that she was able to make the decision to die before having to suffer vegetatively for god only knows how long after she ceased to be Su. I could no longer ask that of her than I could my mom.

    It's sad to think that she "killed herself", but I would rather that than to hear later how she suffered to death. Which is exactly why I voted for I-1000. Culture of death indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. With all the nuance and thought there, you wouldn't survive 5 minutes over at Free Republic. I can almost hear the posters posting "CULTURE OF DEATH" over and over again to your heartfelt story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I wouldn't. Honestly, I can't survive over at Democratic Underground either... not because the ideas conflict, but because everything there moves so fast I can't keep up.

    ReplyDelete