Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Via anonymous. Clarence Thomas is a bitter, bitter man. You ever see any interviews with him, and it's clear he's still not over his nomination hearing, despite successfully ending up on the Court. So of course he says "Northern Liberal Elites Treated Me Worse Than Southerners." That little gem of Freeper-type narrative causes Freepers jump all over themselves to tell the story of all the racism they saw in the North, and all the tolerance they see in the South.

CPONav explains how there is no crime in the South.
I grew up in the South. As a Sailor in the U.S. Navy, I lived all over America and travelled the world. I returned to the South when I retired.
Southerners have learned to live together, no matter the race, religion, or ethnic background.
Most areas outside of the Southeastern United States have yet to figure out how to accomplish that.

And y’all call US hicks...
Lizavetta knows if the South is known for one thing, it's frankness and not worrying about tact!
When my ex worked at IBM many years ago, a black colleague told him that he much preferred the South, where a person would tell you precisely what he thought of you, right or wrong, and so you knew exactly where you stood. The Northerners would smile and act like they were your friend yet knife you behind your back.
Oberon's daughter finds herself super not-racist.
My daughter was raised in North Carolina, but is now attending a fairly exclusive university in New England. She observes that she has much more experience interacting with minorities that most of her fellow students, and also has a far more egalitarian attitude toward minorities as well.

I think the North is actually more racist today than the South is.
pgkdan is sure the North are the ones with all the racial violence. He has 2 examples!!
Hundreds of books have been written about school desegregation in the south and Massive Resistance but..even though we have the famous images of Bull Connor setting dogs on black protesters...there was no violence in Southern desegregation to match the riots in Boston when they instituted bussing. We didn't have race riots in VA in the 60's but we sure did in Camden NJ...blocks that were burned down STILL haven't been rebuilt 50 years later.
jsanders2001 - lays out things everyone knows so well he has to repeatedly explain how everyone knows it.
Its a known fact that Southerners are a lot more laid back, trustworthy, loyal and friendly than the North Easterners. Everyone knows this. The percentage of Southerners that want to visit the Northeast quandrant of the U.S. is probably very low unless they originally came from that area. I avoid those areas unless I have no other choice. There’s more corruption in that neck of the woods than any other sector of this U.S. other than (basing this on thousands of fraud and corruption cases I’ve worked on for several decades).
Buckeye McFrog totally talked to some northern students who were super racist, guys!
I spent some time on the campus of a fairly exclusive university, and was fairly shocked to find a bunch of affluent suburban kiddies, who, when you drilled right down to their core....did not believe that black people were actually people!
Buckeye McFrog follows up with some strong anecdotal science:
I have witnessed two acts of ugly, blatant racism with my own eyes.

One occurred in Ohio, and the other in Michigan.

I've been to Nashville, Huntsville, Savannah, Columbia, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Orlando....never witnessed in any of those places.
jsanders2001 has been surveying telemarketers:
You don’t know how much fun I’ve had with the young telemarketers that have really picked up the pace calling lately, I say, “I’m sorry, but I can’t invest / buy your product / or talk to one of your service reps in the area because of the horrible economic decisions made by our current leadership. BTW do you mind if I asked who you voted for during the last two elections?” Usually I either get a click or they apologize but probably only because they’re trying to sell me something. Now I’m starting to hear a lot more of them agree that he’s been a horrible president. Many say the worst. It makes me smile, it does...: )
usurper is searching for the term uppity, but can't seem to get there...
I grew up is Southern California in the 1970s. I knew a few black guys who were bussed in to our HS from downtown LA. They were OK guys but seemed to have a big chip on their shoulder.

Whites and Hispanics interacted daily and did not recognize any difference or hostility. But blacks basically kept to themselves in a sort of brooding way. Not a friendly bunch and most people just tried to avoid them, not out of any hostility but because they just seemed angry all the time.

In the late 80s I moved to Georgia for two years and I was immediately impressed with how different the blacks were compared to the ones in LA I grew up with.

They would treat you like you were one of them not as some "white" guy. Very friendly and would laugh and joke with you without the unspoken tension as seemed ever present in SO CAL.

Whatever to South is doing it seems to work better than the rest of the country.
Back to Thomas, rktman knows liberals hate them some mixed race marriages!
I read his bio too and it was very enlightening to see just what Justice Thomas when through almost his entire life. To make the rabid libs even more rabid, he’s married to a (GASP) white woman. Love this guy.
Apropos of nothing, in law school I found Thomas' opinion the best of all the justices - his soul may be embittered, but he is a clear and concise writer of uncommon skill.

17 comments:

  1. "Apropos of nothing, in law school I found Thomas' opinion the best of all the justices - his soul may be embittered, but he is a clear and concise writer of uncommon skill. "

    He is. I don't see him as embittered though. Just tired. It's a long time to put up with shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His opinions, while I feel are unwise in both substance and procedure, do not seem bitter.

      His interviews, though, seem to indicate that he's still quite angry about his nomination hearing. I'll admit I'm not basing that as much on the quote above, but on other interviews I've seen and heard of him.
      I heard him double down on "high-tech lynching" some years ago,

      Delete
    2. I'll not dispute. You see more of him than I do.

      If he can separate his personal opinions from his judgement - well, that is a good Justice, no matter which side of the scale they sit on.

      Delete
    3. "His opinions, while I feel are unwise in both substance and procedure...."

      In other words, "How dare that black guy not be a liberal?! Doesn't he know he know us white liberal racebaiters know everything?"

      Delete
  2. Is that a question?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas writes well, but his legal views are shitty and shallow.

    For the record, I am an attorney with 25 years experience who does legal analysis and writes opinions on behalf of a relatively high level appellate court (but not the SCOTUS).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't judge his legal views. My experience with the law stops with doing a bit of rules monkeying in courtmartials - so terribly limited experience! Don't mean I don't want to learn.

      But he does write his thoughts out clearly, so you know exactly where he's coming from, unlike Scalia or, to a lesser extent, Sotomeyer. I've had trouble following their lines of reasoning at times, even with Google open in a separate tab.

      Delete
    2. Thomas' clearness is made more impressive by his specialty in especially arcane areas of law - ERISA and the like. No arguments from me about his intelligence, just his wisdom.

      Scalia can give you quite the runaround. He's clearly a master of rhetoric, and he will at times use his powers for good (or at least for fun), but at times he'll use it to bamboozle as well.

      No one seems to like Sotomayor's opinions.

      If you have some time to waste, check out this right-leaning blog that had their commenters rate the justices: http://www.volokh.com/2013/11/14/rank-favorite-supreme-court-justices/

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the site link.

      Kagan seems to be surprisingly well respected for a right leaning site. I'll have a poke around some more.

      Delete
  4. Thomas has opinions? I thought he just did whatever Scalia did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how trolls act like the only reason Clarence Thomas gets hassled is because he's a black man who isn't liberal, and that's somehow racist. But using racial and homophobic innuendo against Kagan and Sotomayor is just fine somehow. More of the "both sides do it" playground logic, I guess.

      Delete
  5. More open freeper racism on the American Idol live threads

    "To: Jrabbit

    I, too, hope a white, straight guy wins. Whenever Idol gives viewers a white straight guy to vote for, they vote for him. After about five white guys with guitars won in a row, I think Idol was determined not to have any more. Last season, they gave us five guys to vote for...all gay, only one was white, and none were that talented. So of course they got the “diverse” winner they wanted. Sounds like they’re doing the same thing this year. No wonder their ratings are down. They refuse to give viewers what they have repeatedly shown they want...white, straight males.

    2,401 posted on Tue Feb 18 20:04:48 2014 by Nea Wood"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true - the only reason I don't love Reagan is because I hate White people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, well played, ozy

    ReplyDelete
  8. "... the only reason you don't Reagan..." How does one Reagan? Is "reagan" a verb now? Oh, how I hope so! I'd love to give it a definition. Anybody with me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Reagan: The art of getting things done via a mixture of compromise, respect and fear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turns out that the noose incident was in fact perpetrated by 3 white frat boys from Georgia. Freepers strangely silent on the issue, except for all their earlier "what abouts" that have nothing to do with racial intimidation (weird things like white Republicans being hanged during Reconstruction). Or protesters and flags, or something. Nope, even this - not racist!

    ReplyDelete