Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Charlie Wilson's War

Saw this movie some time ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Good dialogue, acting, etc. Free Republic, on the other hand, had somewhat more mixed opinions.

karnage, on Julia Robert's character:

“I have been saved by Jesus Christ and I am not ashamed to admit it!” - Julia Roberts, in “Charlie Wilson’s War.”

Whatever her real-life politics, Julia Roberts plays this wealthy, Christian, conservative Texan onscreen with great panache. Her character comes off great.

I thought she was a bit over the top, but then I've never been to Texas.

dfwgator (11+7+15=3 Heismans) has a different opinion, though.
I would probably see it if Julia Roberts weren’t in it. Her presence in that flick makes it a “non-starter” for me.
I guess gator doesn't see many movies then, if the politics of the actors enter into his decision. It's for the best, though, since it also seems he doesn't understand the idea of "acting," wherein on can pretend to have politics other than those they actually do! Amazing!

Then there's the whole giving credit to someone other than Reagan for something acomplished in the 80's:

RR, against the advice of everyone around him, was responsible for the Afghanis getting the Stinger missiles that were the turning point in the defeat of the Soviets.

The ‘Rats haven’t had a war hero since WWII so they have to manufacture them as they go. LOL
Yes, kellynla (Freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots! Semper Fi!), Congress had nothing to do with the Cold War! It was all Reagan! He bought those Stingers with his own money! And those Stingers are why Russia left Afghanistan, and stopped the slow bleeding. Yeah, if only someone had given the Viet Cong Stingers...
left-wing myth that the CIA-led operation funded Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda

Last time I checked, we chose Saddam and Osama over the Russians in the 80's and it didn't work out too bad geopolitically.
chronic cough 420 (MDCXVI), you're not following the party line that Osama is a threat and you should be afraid, because the next threat could be a...Mushroom Cloud.

And finally, I like kellynla's idea of a good time!

I’m not giving my hard-earned money to some Leftist propaganda, thank you!

I’d rather spend the p.m. reading one of Ann Coulter’s books or God forbid, gasp! the Bible! :-]

Like I said earlier, the Leftists haven’t had a war hero since WWII, so they have to manufacture them as they go. LOL

Yahooo! Coulter or the Bible! I'ms sure that's a wild dating scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment