Thursday, February 5, 2009

Metapost: comments, I get comments, I get lots and lots of comments!

I'm thrilled to have some people who comment on the blog these days. Most days there's at least one comment whose snark or knowledge puts me to shame.

For those people who read Free Republic on the hoof every once in a while, feel free to suggest good threads in the comments.

Also, check out alicublog and tbogg for a more learned, though still quite snarky take on the only slightly less low-hanging fruit of right wing blogs.

4 comments:

  1. Here's a good one:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2179383/posts
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a bonafide Tyrant on Our Hands"

    Another one on my favorite subject, certifigate:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2179249/posts
    "Hollister v. Soetoro: Judge Denies Specific Motions in Pending Case"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you given any thought to the fact that some of the most egregious comments may be trolling? I'm generally aware of several people who claim to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have no doubt there's trolling. Indeed, FFranco's status remains a mystery.

    I try to give a sense of the threads I read, and pick posts for their pithy summary of general attitudes as much as for their craziness. (except for the posts from Outer Space.)

    Additionally, the fact that these trolls are not caught for being too crazy should be noted. Indeed, people often agree with them.

    And don't think I want Free Republic taken down. I'm something of a freedom of speech absolutist. I think the best way to deal with crazy stupid people talking is more talking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that some of those comments may be trolls but ultimately, the admins can zot any posts they don't like. If Jim didn't want them there, they wouldn't be there. But the fact is that those types of posts are welcome there and as Ozymandias says, many regular posters agree with them.

    ReplyDelete