Thursday, October 31, 2013

Freepers and liberal family members

Via Anon.

ilovesarah2012's sister has threatened to block her on Facebook if she doesn't stop ranting about the gays and Obama. This has really hurt her, but she nevertheless unfriended her sister. She reaches out to other Freepers for solidarity. Yeah, it goes about as well as you'd expect - the thread is chock full of Freeper 'victims' bringing the drama.

Gaffer's kids totally wrote in Kucinich:
I don’t have that problem...everyone in my family has always worked and never on entitlements. That said, I told both of my children that if I even think they voted or would vote for an evil demon like Obama, I’d disown both of them.
Salgak has a new, better, conservative family now...
My family (long-time liberal Democrats) disowned me when I “came out” as a Conservative in college.

That was 30 years ago. I have my own family now, and we’re ALL conservatives. . .
stormhill:
Don't really know if it's because of politics or if divergent philosophies merely provide a pretext to air more deep-seated resentments, but my son seems to go out of his way to try proving me wrong.

His arguments generally are as absurd as they are intractable.
jboot has mixed up "compromise" with "not being a ranting asshole" and paid the price:
I've lost several friends over the last few years for sticking to my guns on the social issues, and I'm not talking about the Facebook kind. Friends I've laughed and cried with, sat vigils at hospitals with and shared the best days of my life with. But I will not compromise my principles and deny God for their peace of mind and comfort, and they have no right to expect me to do so.

So, yeah, it is tough out here right now.
Tijeras_Slim has clearly never met anyone on this thread:
Funny how the concept of “let’s not bring politics into this” only applies to conservatives.
lakecumberlandvet said all Democrats were evil, and somehow insulted her Democratic mother-in-law.
My mother-in-law is a dimocrat. She is a 0bama supporter. I have been anti-0bama, specifically, and anti-dimocrat, generally, from the get-go. We used to exchange emails on a regular basis. Her emails were entertaining and non-political. Mine were mostly efforts to educate her on the evils of dims and 0bama.

She only endured my “insults” for a short time and then she sent me an email informing me that she’s a dim, her father was a dim, and her grandfather was a dim and that she didn’t want to hear any further criticisms of the dims from me. I lost a lot of respect for her and as a result we don’t talk politics at family gatherings and I’ve not emailed her since although she occasionally sends me a non-political email. By the way, her daughter, my wife, is, like me, a conservative: not dim, not repub.
I sort of agree with liberalh8ter, but he's still hilarious:
My cousin and I no longer speak because he and his looney-tune wife went full Obama in 2008. His wife even went so far as to disrespect our beloved, elderly Aunt over it. If I were to see my cousin today, I'd kick him in the nut sack over his allowance of that.

Apologies to anyone that may have offended. I have a real problem with that kind of disrespect to an elderly family member.
Viennacon is totally that Drunk Uncle character from Saturday Night Live.
I had just such a confrontation two weeks ago over Islam. Some relatives called opposition to Islam in the wake of the London beheading, “fascist” and “racist”.
I pointed out neither of these terms could apply logically to opposition to Islam.
Backlash against Islam was then called a “hate crime”...
But the decapitation was just a few bad apples.

I know, most of my family are ignorant and beyond brainwashed.
They actually believed several Muslims has been stabbed as a result.
I wonder if they ever bothered To check that.
Unlikely.

I try to avoid subjects such as this around my family.
Beowulf is one of many Freepers who get along with a liberal, but decide that must be the exception:
I've had two liberal women unfriend me on facebook because of my conservative postings, even though we never politically interacted.

I have one acquaintance from high school who is a liberal with whom I go back and forth pretty hard on political issues, but then we'll pleasantly discuss sports and fond memories of the hometown. To my experience he's the rare liberal with some tolerance.

Personally, I can't image me unfriending someone solely because of their views as has happened to me.
Reddy's relatives are either awful at arguing, or he has edited events somewhat...
Two lib relatives (in-laws) said that I was a racist because I stated that bho was elected through vote fraud.

I merely showed them that morning’s headlines from the local paper that read that people had been indicted for voting multiple times (later convicted). When I saw one of the lib relatives later, we never mentioned the incident.

The other lib relative went off on a rampage and sent us a message that questioned our faith and parenting. When we told that relative’s children (our grown nieces and nephews) about the message, the relative sent an apology message. We haven’t been in contact with that relative since then.
Reddy knows whatever you do, remain an out and proud lunatic!
The Facebook solution is to create a “political” group of your friends, and include only those friends in the group that you want to see your political posts.

No, no!! Don’t do that!! Put the truth out there for everyone to see, that’s how we educate the liv. But while you’re putting the truth out there, you have do to it in a way that is right, i.e., no sarcasm (hard for me), no name calling (that’s the libs m.o.); just tell it like it is backed up with facts. The libs cannot counter facts so they will start calling you names, at that point ignore them. They hate that even more!
rktman councils cryptic, passive-aggressive bullshit:
Since there is no reasoning with them or any way (save a miracle)you can use logic and common sense (two words!) to make them understand, sometimes the best bet is to sever ties with those supporters. Even if they are family. Friends, family, whatever. You have to cut them loose. Get some business cards made up to stick under the windshield wipers of cars you see that have the obie stickers on them saying, “Thanks for your support. Not really!”. Or something else to let them know they screwed us. Twice!
who knows what evil? is also too tough to care about family:
I do not allow leftists/Democrats to darken my door...ever. Don’t give a damn who they are...life is too short to waste precious time with them. You aren’t going to change their mind, so kick them to the curb with last week’s garbage.
hal ogen's safely wrapped in a cocoon of rage and resentment:
Several of our relatives are nobama-bots. They have a hard time with facts and with reality. My hope is that they suffer greatly as their idiotic policies are experienced. Many have chosen to not communicate...good...it saves me the frustration. Life is too short to waste time with these koolaid-drinking clones.
Uncle Lonny has a solution!
My six 4 legged “children” are extremely loyal. As long as I keep the fleas away and provide them with food and scratches, they are devoted to me. In some ways, they are far better than the 2 legged kind.

5 comments:

  1. Who pays that much attention to their Facebook friends that they can tell when they are unfriended and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, when you only have three, you tend to notice.

      Delete
  2. Daily political rants on FB are annoying, boring and divisive no matter if from Left or Right. Rejecting friends and family because of politics is so near sighted and foolish. Cut off your nose to spite your face and all that.
    Ultimately what does it get us ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ultimately what does it get us ?"

      Well, i don't know what it would get "us", but it gets freepers a fine sense of self-righteousness, smugness, and victimhood all wrapped up in one.

      Delete
    2. Really, there's not much downside when you're a freeper who basically already hates other people. Is "cutting off your family," in that case, really a hardship for them, or for their family members? It might be sweet relief.

      Delete